These times call for positive hearts filled with faith and hope for
the future. What a blessing then that we can always count on love as
a timeless virtue we can find in the family and friends we hold dear.
It's just as well that this is the season of Lent, when we remember
the One who loved us first. He showed, not just in word but in deed,
that "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for
one's friends."(John 15:13).
May we know how truly loved we are! We wish you a wonderful season
filled with love within and all around you!
In this issue
How to Love More
Marriage Compatibility Test
Qualities of a Good Partner
Soul Food Events
What's Available Now
Have a Helpful Heart
Pick Your Win!
Books for Less
New Products from Papemelroti
How to Love More
When all is said and done, the greatest acheivement in life is to have loved. When you feel that your love power has decreased through the years, here are some thoughts to make you a more loving person.
- Since we know that God is love, it makes sense to go to the Source. Pray for a more loving heart. "it is the Lord that makes love increase" - 1 Thes 3:12
- Expressing love increases love. Give your loved one a gift. Think of how to surprise him/her. Take extra effort to serve them. Deliberately love! Don't delay! Express your love in a unique way that will truly delight the beloved!
- Relationships are very much like plants. One has to nurture these daily or they will wither and die! Be consistent in taking care of your relationships and you will harvest a lifetime of loving!
- Wear the other person's shoes! By imagining yourself in another's situation, you grow in empathy, compassion and understanding. This will awaken in you more ways to love, and love more effectively.
- Listen more. Talk less. Practice the ministry of presence. You don't have to do much to make another person feel appreciated. Just be there.
- Remember the good stuff. The person you love has so many good traits that oftentimes is forgotten through life's humdrums. Appreciate and give thanks for this person that God has brought into your life. Know you are blessed with the gift of that person.
Marriage Compatibility Test
How well do you know your sweetheart? Wanna find out what wedded bliss would be like with him/her? Take this test separately and discuss to find out! http://www.drstansbury.com/marriage.htm
Qualities of a Great Partner
by Dr. Kay Kuzma, "When You Are Serious About Love" (Excerpt)
1. A HAPPY DISPOSITION- look for a happy, optimistic person. Find someone who has a sense of humor and can laugh at himself/herself... True happiness springs from a content heart. Beware of the person who is only happy when you are around. You're going to get tired of being responsible for another person's happiness. You could end up feeling guilty when the person slips into bouts of depression... True happiness is... a part of a person's character, regardless of the circumstances.
2. THOUGHTFULNESS -... How does your date treat his parents and yours? Chances are you'll get treated very much the same way. Does he see things that need to be done and offer to help? Or does he put his own needs first? Does he open the car door and wait to seat you at the table? Manners are important- and they seldom get better after marriage.
3. NOT EASILY ANGERED- ... Temper outbursts... can be the symptom of internal hostility. This hostility is often repressed during courtship as a person is trying hard to be on his best behavior... Take seriously any outburst you observe, and check with others who have known this person in different situations to see if they have noticed this trait... The way a woman treats her younger brother may be an indication of how she will treat her husband... Be leery of the person who has not learned to express his anger in words and instead merely harbors angry feelings in his heart. Going silent and withdrawing from a loved one because of anger is unhealthy and damaging to a relationship... Be sure you date a person long enough to observe how easily he or she becomes angry and how these feelings are expressed. Ask yourself, "Is this what I want to live with for
4. WILLING TO SOLVE PROBLEMS - It's almost impossible to solve relationship problems by yourself. Marry someone who will be honest enough to admit being wrong, who doesn't have a habit of blaming others...
5. PURITY - Purity is not just an old-fashioned virtue... it's just safer to date someone who hasn't played around... At the same time you should not hold it against a person for past involvements. Mind purity is very important. Is your date pure in his thoughts and speech, as well as behavior? What jokes does he tell? What music does she listen to? What movies does he watch? What books or magazines does she read? Are they pure or suggestive? Mind pollution can lead to disrespect of the opposite gender.
6. TRUTHFUL - Too often couples play games when they are becoming acquainted... playing games in a relationship is a form of dishonesty... Marriage isn't a game. It's a serious lifetime commitment. Search your own feelings and share honestly during your courtship. Be You.
7. GOOD HEALTH HABITS - No one wants to marry a slob - and few do...Bad health habits are difficult to break. That is why it's best to look for a person who has already established positive health practices.
8. ACCEPTS RESPONSIBILITY - Here are some questions that might detect irresponsibility: ... Does she see things that need to be done and do them? Does he volunteer to help? Does she get to places on time? Does he make lame excuses to get out of responsibilities? Does she take her talents seriously and work to improve her skills? Does he take care of his car and other personal possessions?... Think about it. Just how responsible is the person you are dating?
9. GOOD SENSE OF SELF-WORTH - Often in a dating relationship, individuals with a poor self-esteem glean a sense of value from the person they're with. They become dependent on their to make them feel good... If you don't want to live a lifetime having to tiptoe around a person's fragile ego or having to hold yourself back for fear of how your spouse will react, then be careful not to get emotionally involved with someone who has a low sense of self-worth.
10. LIKES CHILDREN - Before marriage you may discuss children, but unless you're around a lot of children and can observe your date interacting with them in a wide variety of situations, you really don't have any idea about how he or she may discipline your children in the future. Seldom do both parents totally agree on how a child should be raised. Finding someone who at least likes children is an advantage.
11. A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD - It's very important for a marriage partner to have a personal relationship with God. Look for someone who is spiritually sensitive and willing to follow God's law. A Spirit-filled life is one filled with love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance (Galatians 5:22,23). A person who exhibits these traits is certainly easier to live with than someone who doesn't... What about your date? If you're interested in a real Christian, make sure his faith is part of his life twenty-four hours a day.
12. ACCEPTS YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE - True love is unconditional love... The important question to ask is, "Do I love her faults?" Only when you can truly love the total person, including all the points and bad habits, can you accept your mate for who he is and not secretly wish you could change him.
13. WILLING TO GROW - Good marriage partners grow together. They encourage each other to maximize their knowledge, skills and potential... Make sure the person you date seriously is the kind
of person who is open to learning and will make changes when changes need to be made.
14. AFFECTIONATE - The ability to express love through words and actions is vital for an intimate love relationship... look for tender words, acts and touches that are given naturally and "appropriately" throughout the day, and not just in private.
Soul Food Events
Lenten Retreat for Women
Have a meaningful Lenten season. Join a Women's Retreat this March 1-2.
Start: March 1 at 7am to March 2, 5pm. Organized by Ang Lingkod ng Panginoon Alabang.
For more information, please contact Irma Ramoso at cel#09189274836. Retreat Fee is P 450 per person including overnight and meals.
OnFire Weekend Retreat
A three-day, live-in, interactive retreat for young professionals facilitated by Fr. Ted P. Gonzales, SJ
Friday-Sunday, February 15-17 at the Karis, St. Michael Road, Iruhin, Tagaytay City.
Fee: P3,000 (inclusive of food, board and lodging)
For reservations, contact Pam at (0918) 948-8771 or Kenny at (0915) 689-3366
Reservation and payment deadline: Monday, February 11
Fridays with CEFAM
March 7: Laughter... Therapy for the Soul by Ms. Malu Cordero
June 20: Giving the Nation a Soul by Atty. Alex Lacson
July 25: Maintaining the Soul of the Family Across Distances by Dr. Honey Carandang
September 5: Soul Friendship by Dr. Dido Gustillo
October 10: Music Therapy for the Soul by Fr. Manoling Francisco, SJ
For details and reservations, contact Tina, Susan, Eva or Flor at (63-2) 426-4289 to 92 organized by the Center for Family Ministries.
Holy Week Retreats from the Christian Life Community of the Philippines Formation Institute
8 day individually-directed: Saturday-Saturday, March 15-22
5 day individually-directed: Tuesday-Saturday, March 18-22
3 day semi-directed: Thursday-Saturday, March 20-22
Two venues: Mirador Jesuit Villa, Baguio City or H. De La Costa Formation Center, Trece Martires City. Deadline for reservations: Monday, February 25. For more details, contact CLCP at (63-2) 426-0074 & 75
What's Available Now?
It's not unusual for Papemelroti customers to need rush items and have a need to know what's in stock so they can order in bulk or order for their gift shop. To cater to this, we now have our What's Available Now page online! This features new deliveries for customers and shop owners to view at leisure. Ordering is just a click away! Remember that you have to be quick to order as well since stocks of certain items go quite fast!
Have a Helpful Heart
Segregate your trash and earn pesos while you're at it! Join the Waste Trade Markets every month!
February 9, 2008, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
at The Fort, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
Things to Bring:
Trading -- Of scrap paper/ cardboard for bathroom tissue, table napkins, bond paper, notebooks
Of empty ink and toner cartridges for quality remanufactured ones
Of plastic bottles/ plastic scraps for plastic household items (hangers, basins, pails, stools)
Buying -- All of the above! plus
Junk electronics/electrical equipment/ old or broken appliances
Used lead acid batteries (from cars, UPS/ voltage regulators, busted rechargeable lamps)
Used PET plastic bottles (e.g. soft drink and mineral water bottles) and other plastics
Aluminum/ tin cans
Scrap paper and cartons
Used ink/toner cartridges
The Waste Markets aim to make recycling convenient and accessible,
especially for those who frequent commercial shopping areas, and also
to show that Filipinos CAN make recycling a habit!
Please help spread the word and forward this announcement to friends, family and colleagues.
For updated schedules and more information, contact Nancy Pilien at the Phil. Business for the Environment
Pick Your Win!
Compile P500 worth of Papemelroti receipts, put your name, contact numbers, e-mail address and answer this question:
What would you rather win?
a. Gift certificate worth P2000
b. Art workshop about Scrapbooking
c. Workshop about starting your own Creative Journal
d. Children's Art workshop
e. Made-to-order Clock and Decoupage frame
f. a sketch of your face by Robert Alejandro
Send to 91 Roces Ave., Quezon City or any of our branches for a chance to win whatever you chose above. (10 winners). Last day for sending in entries: March 31, 2008.
Books for Less
Interested in distributing books in your area? E-mail us today for more information!
Stop by your nearest BFL branch today! It's easy to find the book you need at Books for Less! Just e-mail email@example.com or contact the TEXT Hotline at 630-9999 (no format needed). For other BFL inquiries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 371-4539 for details. For branches and other information visit their updated website at www.booksforless.ph
New Papemelroti Products!
- New Valentine Love Desk Plaques - #1-1270 Love verse from Corinthians decoupaged on intricately cut oval border design costs P298 each. #1-1412-2 Desk plaque with words "My love for you grows with each passing day" on silver plaque with ribbon and charm is P149/ $4.26 each. #1-411 "If love is great" is P98 / $2.80 each. #1-1414-1 "Live a live of love" desk plaque in bronze and silver is P98 / $2.80 each. #1-1409 "Love is a moment that lasts forever" is also P98 / $2.80 each.
- Love is forever picture frame #1-1413-1/-2 on durable resin in bronze or silver. A keepsake to treasure for always! P98 ?$2.80 each.
- Metal 8-Votive Candleholder #189-60 in sturdy black metal for a decorative yet functional item for your home.
- New Greeting Card Designs #9010 in full color varied designs for all occasions! P14.75 / $0.42 each.
- Rubber stamps are back! They are in various themes such as filipiniana, hearts, letters and more!
- Scrapbooks in various sizes like 8" x 6", 12" x 12" with rings, 11" x 8.5" and more! #215-148-95 Scrapbooks with small picture frame in cover costs P189 / $5.40 each.
- More products at the stores! Click here to order or inquire.