Why is Earth Day so important?
Maybe because we're all in this earth together. Each person needs to be aware of the impact of his littlest action.
According to the Rainforest website, "experts estimate that we are losing 137 plant, animal and insect species every single day due to rainforest deforestation. That equates to 50,000 species a year. As the rainforest species disappear, so do many possible cures for life-threatening diseases."
The future may seem bleak for now but it's heartening to know that it still lies in our hands (together). Did you know that:
- If we all recycled our Sunday paper, we would save over 5,000 trees every week.
- If every family planted just one tree, over a billion pounds of "greenhouse gases" would be removed from the atmosphere every year.
- If we didn't use that styrofoam cup to drink coffee for 5 mins, it won't pollute the environment 500 years from now.
Environment facts and figures show us the impact of our lifestyle on the world at large so let's take the time to care and care enough to act!
A people without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees is almost helpless. - Theodore Roosevelt
In this issue
Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
Books for Less
New Products from Papemelroti
Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
10th Tour of the Fireflies will be on April 20, 2008. The event is an advocacy ride for Clean Air and sustainable transportation. This event happens on the Sunday nearest Earth Day to promote clean air using bicycles thus lessening the smog and increasing the likelihood of the fireflies coming back to Metro Manila! We hope to raise awareness by the sheer mass of bikers touring several cities on that day! To join, volunteer or learn more click here
Agos 2008 TUBIG: Buhay Natin, Ating Pagyamanin (Water, Life, Let's Enrich it) is organized by Haribon Foundation. Join their long list of events on April 22, at the CCP Complex, Roxas Blvd. To find out more click here
Earth Jam, Quezon City - On April 25 (Friday), top bands, musicians, and artists will perform together to celebrate the worldwide Earth Day movement. From 7:30 p.m., the audience can appreciate the music of these bands for free while being informed of the need to protect Mother Earth for the future generations. Admission is free. To see who's performing click here
Tigil Buga (Stop Car Fumes) is going to be on April 28. This is a one-minute engine shut off to raise the awareness and support of motorists and of the general public to the campaign for cleaner air of the Makati City Government. Starting at 8 AM a long whistle will start the event. Motorists along Ayala Avenue and other major roads in Makati will be asked to shut off their engines for one minute as their contribution to the campaign against global warming.
Watch the movie "Inconvenient Truth", Al Gore's documentary on the hazards of global warming. Click here for more information
Papemelroti Project: Plastic Drive
Most plastic bags end up in landfills and oceans threatening wildlife. Practically indestructible, this material just isn't biodegradeable!
We want to help! Starting Earth Day '08, all Papemelroti branches will accept all kinds of (clean) plastic bags! We will be using this as material for a livelihood project for street mothers. Watch out for the finished product in our branches soon!
Books for Less
Want to meet other booklovers? Join BFL's Shelfari club today. Click here to join.
Want to order online? BFL can send the book/s of your choice by courier Air 21 & payment by BPI bank deposit or G Cash. Pls email email@example.com for your orders and details of shipping and payment.
Book donation! Promote literacy and donate your books to our campaign. See where our donations have gone at http://www.booksforless.ph/donation.htm
Interested in distributing books in your area? E-mail us today for more information!
Stop by your nearest BFL branch today! It's easy to find the book you need at Books for Less! Just e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the TEXT Hotline at 630-9999 (no format needed). For other BFL inquiries, please e-mail email@example.com or call 371-4539 for details. For branches and other information visit their updated website at www.booksforless.ph
Order your Mother's Day items already! See our coordinated products here
Do you know how to decorate your shop with Papemelroti items? Our items are showcased best when they are grouped according to their purpose or theme. Seasonal items like Mother's day products are best placed side by side as well as those with similar color schemes.
For more tips on decorating your home or shop with our products, click to this page.
New Papemelroti Products!
- Full Color Stickers #7013 available in various fun original designs. Use to decorate art projects, notebooks, scrapbooks, stationery and letters. Size 4" x 5" P6.50 / $0.19 each sheet
- Cathedral Votive Candleholders #1-1407 with inspirational messages on resin holders. Glass holder is included in the product. P119 / $3.54
- Scrapbooking Materials from Bostik #257-1 to -4. We now offer Glue Tack to make your own reusable photo sticker on notepads accurately without a mess. Blu Tack is a reusable adhesive. Sew no more is a fabric glue which invisible mends and repairs in minutes. Blu Stick quickly bonds paper, fabric and cardboard.
- Textured Scrapbook Paper #246 in assorted colors. Available individually or as a set. P20 to P60 each / $0.58 - $1.72.