Just recently, an early photograph of Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan was discovered reminding us of a remarkable alliance.
Being deaf, dumb and quite spoilt, no one thought anything would come of Helen but Anne persevered and strived to step into Helen's world. Finally, through the feel of water through her palm, Helen's curiosity got the better of her and she wanted to learn of all the world around her. In short , her whole world opened up from that moment on.
The teacher, Anne, did not let her being visually impaired get in the way of showing the world to Helen. Helen graduated Magna Cum Laude in Radcliffe and went on to be a world famous speaker, author and humanitarian, traveling over 39 countries.
"The Miracle Worker*" is in all of us. Anne probably did not, in her wildest dreams, think that her ward would be able to accomplish so much by her tutelage but she persevered and most likely, loved Helen much. So much so that all the world was blessed by this wondrous work!
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
- Helen Keller
*"The Miracle Worker" is the autobiographical account of Helen Keller.
In this issue
Honor a Teacher Today
Books for Less
New Products from Papemelroti
Honor a Teacher Today
Do you have a favorite teacher? There are so many things a good teacher inspires in us. They teach us not only academic matters but they motivate us to reach for our dreams no matter how far they seem.
Let's express our gratitude to our teachers! Take the time to thank them for choosing a praiseworthy vocation that touches so many lives!
“Filipino teachers are some of the most dedicated educators in the world. We’ve heard heroic stories about our teachers and we have every reason to be proud of them,” said Michelle Casio, Academic Programs Manager, Microsoft Philippines.
Some ideas for honoring your teacher:
- Be a good student, excel in class, participate and show you're paying attention. This is the best gift you can give a teacher since their work will bear fruit in you.
- Give a greeting. Let everyone sign and say thank you. Be sincere (it's not about grades!).
- Make a poster with your teacher's photo and artfully decorate with his (or her) positive personality traits for a souvenir to cherish through the years!
- Give your teacher something he can use in her work. You may know of something he needs. Your class can all pitch in and get that item for him.
- Tell them about great websites for teachers such as: Partners in Learning Phils Pinoy Teachers Network and Teachers Network (USA)
- Donate to the school in his behalf. Maybe you have school supplies, books for the library or even computers lying around. It will make your teacher proud!
ATD Festival of Learning - Join All Together in Dignity (ATD) Fourth World Philippines, an NGO, as it conducts it's annual summer Festival of Learning in different poor communities in Manila. They teach children arts and crafts and other workshops like writing, dancing, and music appreciation as well field trips.
Volunteers cannot describe the happiness of the children when they visit them! For this year, ATD is reaching out to 400 children. In order for children to participate, ATD needs additional funds. Aside from funds, they are looking for sponsors who can bring children to interesting and educational sites like concerts, plays, art galleries, museums, zoos and children recreational centers for free or discounted entrance fees. ATD needs volunteers to act as facilitators or share their talents in any skills to teach the children.
If you cannot volunteer, your donation of P200 / $5.50 will provide 1 child's art materials, transport, museum fees and excursion trips. If you can help in any way, please do so! Contact 563.9312 or email@example.com. Please forward this to your family, friends and networks.
Med Mission of Lingkod - Inviting doctors, dentists, nurses, physical therapists! San Jose del Monte City, Bulacan, which is also an outreach community of the Society of Jesus (or Jesuits), with whom we are serving together with in this mission.
For many years now, Lingkod ng Panginoon Greenhills has held this medical mission to help our less fortunate brothers & sisters, and each year we have been blessed to have the opportunity to serve so many in one day. The mission on April 6 seeks to do the same - planning to serve 500 patients, and more if possible. To donate medicine or volunteer, contact firstname.lastname@example.org today!
Turn Lights out - On March 29, 8 PM, See your world in a whole new light. "Turn the lights out" for Earth Hour - an event that will fuel awareness on climate change and prove that when the people of the world work together, they can make a difference in the fight against global warming. It will take place throughout the country from 8 to 9.
WWF invites you to participate by shutting off lights for 60 minutes, and do tell your friends about it too! Launched in Australia last year on March 31, Earth Hour moved 2.2 million people and 2100 businesses in Sydney to turn off their lights for one hour. This massive collective effort reduced the city's energy consumption by 10.2%!
With Sydney icons like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House turning their lights off and unique events such as weddings by candlelight, the world took notice. YOUR participation will go a long way in spreading the message that we, as individual droplets working collectively – can create an impetus far more powerful than the mightiest of rivers. For more information, log on to the WWF Earth Hour page at: www.earthhour.org.
Books for Less
Do you want to know a secret? With a P100 minimum purchase, get a 20% discount just by saying "LESS MEANS MORE" when paying at our branches. Try it! (Valid with pre-owned books with item code #16 and down.) This promo extends 'til the whole of April!
Great value! Markdowns up to 70% off! Hardbound books P49 and P99 each!
Want to order online? BFL can send the book/s of your choice by courier Air 21 & payment by BPI bank deposit or G Cash. Pls email email@example.com for your orders and details of shipping and payment.
Book donation! Promote literacy and donate your books to our campaign. See where our donations have gone at http://www.booksforless.ph/donation.htm
Interested in distributing books in your area? E-mail us today for more information!
Stop by your nearest BFL branch today! It's easy to find the book you need at Books for Less! Just e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the TEXT Hotline at 630-9999 (no format needed). For other BFL inquiries, please e-mail email@example.com or call 371-4539 for details. For branches and other information visit their updated website at www.booksforless.ph
To all our loyal distributors, we want to promote your area to our online customers. Want display ideas? Want to know what fast selling items are available? Just e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you! Do submit your outlet's picture and we will post it on our website! We're waiting to hear from you today!
New Papemelroti Products!
- Graduation Bear Standee #987-1 Wooden desk plaque contains a banner that may be personalized with a permanent marker! Decoupage design is on recycled wood. Show that grad some appreciation! 4 3/8" h x 3.5" x 2"w, 70g. P109 / $3.12
- Teacher's Prayer Scroll #148-390 "I want to teach my students how to live this life on earth to face its struggles..." decoupage on durable resin. 3" h x 3.5" x 2"w, 90g. P79 / $2.26
- Wedding Signboard #256-1 for guests notes and well wishes. Available in a variety of border designs and color combinations. Size 21.25" x 17" x 1/2". Choose your frame type, border design and color combination. P698 / $20.
- Scrapbook Textured Paper #246-43 in bright assorted colors. Perfect for mounting your pictures and decorating pages. P20 / $0.58 each.
- Rubber Letters for scrapbooks and craft projects. We have several words and names to choose from.