Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children. - Alex Haley
Life moves too fast sometimes. Before you know it, the year has passed and you hardly spent time with your grandparents! One special grandmother was treated not so long ago with a "miniature party". She liked collecting miniatures and had a whole cabinet of them.
To surprise her, the family opened up her dollhouse and decorated the rooms with balloons, a cake and even miniature greeting cards all over! Then they blindfolded her and led her to the cabinet to see the little party going on!
This was such a meaningful and unique way of celebrating who she was to them... I should know, she's my mother!
This year, what would surprise the grandparent in your life?
Happy Grandparent's Day on September 13th!
Here are some fun ideas to make your Lolo or Lola feel loved!
- The best gift you can give them is quality time. Whether it is shopping with Lola or chess with Lolo it will surely make their heart glad! To make the day more special, cook their favorite dish!
- A scrapbook with their favorite memories would be a wonderful gift. Gather letters and e-mails from family and friends (a page per person) and decorate it with their pictures, magazine cutouts or drawings. Have them write their fondest memories with your grandparent. Poems, prayers, wishes, stories, inspirational sayings and jokes are also nice entries. Start this early and give a deadline to everyone so it can be finished by Grandparent's Day! From the little children, have them draw their grandparent instead. Click here for some hints
- Record a lot of greetings for your grandparents (even from total strangers)! Record it on a CD for them to hear over and over again!
- Make a Keepsake Prayer Box where you collect prayers from everyone and present it to your grandparents! Click here Give Lolo and Lolo their own website! Easy to use interfaces are on Multiply, Blogspot or Facebook. They will be able to connect with other seniors and share their wisdom with the world. They can also log on to http://www.grandparents.com/ for lots of ideas on grandparenting!Make a story of your grandfolks life! Dramatize it using a video camera and upload it on YouTube! You can also cartoonize it using a free service online.
- "Fancify" a portrait of your Lolo or Lola? Make an old photograph of theirs into retro style and frame it! Use this neat site You can also ask an art student to do it for you for a minimal charge. You can also use some black paper and cut out a silhouette. Instructions here