Jewelry out of Kitchen Clay

Recipe for Kitchen Clay

1 cup cornstarch
2 cups baking soda
1 1/2 cups cold water

*  Mix all ingredients in a 
medium sized saucepan.
*  Stir until smooth.
*  Cook over medium heat
while stirring constantly.
*  When consistency 
is like mashed potatoes,
remove from heat,
turn over on to a 
plate and cover with
a damp cloth.
*  Allow to cool.
*  When cool, knead clay 
until it is soft and elastic
*  Refrigerate for one hour
in a resealable plastic bag.

What can you do with this clay?
You can't use this for detailed projects.

But you can use rubber stamps on it
to make pendants, keychains,
earrings, Christmas ornaments,
scrapbooking embellishments, etc.


You can make beads out of it,
little figurines, and I even made 
a Nativity scene
which I framed in a wooden box.
This has been in my cabinet for several years now.

After forming the clay
into various shapes,
put it in the oven toaster
to harden.
You'll have to keep an eye on the clay.
The thinner the clay, the faster it will bake.
What I do is I bake at short lengths of time
and just repeat if it's still not hard.
You can  tell it's not yet cooked
because the back will be wet.
After baking, I paint gesso or wall putty on it
to have some texture, 
and to fill in the cracks.
For beads, skewer them and then apply
the gesso or wall putty.
Dry well.
I use acrylics to paint the clay pendants and beads.
I like mixing colors.
Make sure to dry each color first 
before adding another color
so you don't end up with muddy colors.
I put some gold or coppery color to burnish it.
Here are the beads and the pendants
made into a necklace.


I have lots of other unpainted beads,
and other works in progress.
I'll just post them in future posts 
as they get finished!

You may want to see 
other do it yourself projects at
Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife 

Blessings,


Comments

  1. This is awesome! I am going to pin it! I am visiting form the Catch a Glimpse link up and wanted to stop by and say hi. I a a new follower. I blog over at http://www.garagesalesrus.blogspot.com/ I hope you will stop by and do the same. I also have a giveaway with a Circut Machine going on right now. I would Love it if you entered but you have to hurry it ends tomorrow! Hope you have a great day!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Came over from Happy Hour. I am awe-struck. Such beautiful, artistic work! I love the simple recipe, but I am allergic to corn - not sure I can use this. I plan to try it with plenty of Benadryl nearby :>)

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well what a cute idea! LOVE your necklace! The colors really pop! This is one recipe I think I could actually follow...I'm not a cook by any stretch!
    Thanks so much for sharing your post today with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday! So happy to find you!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:01 PM

    That necklace is absolutely GORGEOUS! This would be a perfect afternoon craft with my nieces and nephews. I also have a ton of alphabet ruber stamps that I think just found a new purpose! I can't wait to try this out. I love simple things that make a big impact. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome I remember making ornaments this way many years ago

    come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/08/savory-corn-cobbler.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely jewelry! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous...I like working with paper clay, which looks like a similar substance...the finished necklace is so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! Thanks for the cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very neat. Love the idea, thanks for the post. Found you on inspiration Monday blog hop!
    Diane
    Treasuringgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the recipe! I am writing this down. I noticed this on a link party and I had to stop by--beautiful! I am happy to be your newest follower, and I would love it if you'd stop by my blog and return the follow:
    Nancy
    http://dosmallthingswithlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful project on Simple & Sweet Fridays. You are so creative!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Those are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for sharing. i would love it if you'd email me to share how durable your pieces are. my experience with kitchen clay is that it is not so durable, but i used a different formula perhaps... very interested in your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, totally pretty, love how the colors pop! It's great to know if I want to make myself some pretty jewelry all I have to do is head to the kitchen. A great idea! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Patsy, Congrats! You've been featured on Simple & Sweet Fridays with this creative post on how to make jewelry out of clay. Don't forget to grab yourself a button. Have a fantastic week!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patsy, Congrats! You've been featured on Simple & Sweet Fridays with this creative post on how to make jewelry out of clay. Don't forget to grab yourself a button. Have a fantastic week!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  17. great collection of lovely jewelry. thanks for this unique post.
    Organo Gold

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for sharing this. I've always wanted to try this out, just didn't have the know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are very creative and you have an amazing blog! More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - looks great! what a marvelous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your collections of gift and color i like it,You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your blog..i wanna try it at home, it really gives me a lot of ideas..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful blog with nice informational content. This is a really interesting and informative post. Good job! keep it up, hope to read your other updates. Thanks for this nice sharing.
    veryasia

    ReplyDelete
  24. very nice blog. i just wanna ask if the finish product is not that vulnerable since its made from baked clay. is it durable?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! We are happy to hear from you! Thank you for dropping by and telling us what you think!

Very Important: To be consistent with quality standards, all comments with commercial | advertising links will be removed.

 

Shop



Follow







 



Get the latest papemelroti updates in your inbox!

Calendar