Granola Bars and the Secret Ingredient



I attended a Women's Event
of our community, Ligaya ng Panginoon
(Joy of the Lord),
and we had to bring a healthy snack.
I chose to make granola bars for the first time.
There are lots of recipes on the internet
and the reason I chose these ingredients
was basically what was available
in the supermarket!

Here is what I used:
2 cups rolled oats
¾ c. Oat Bran
¾ c. chopped walnuts
1 c. casuy chopped
1 c. cornflakes, crushed
2/3 c. brown sugar
½ c. honey
4 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ c. raisins
½ c. dried pineapple, shredded
½ c. dried mango chips, shredded

Pound the nuts, walnuts and casuy,
and if you use peanuts or some other kinds of nuts,
pound them while they are in the plastic bag.
I just used a glass bottle but it would be better 
if you used a rolling pin or wooden object.

Mix the dry ingredients,
the nuts, oats, and bran
and toast it for 10-12 minutes.
Mix the honey, brown sugar, and vanilla
in a small saucepan.
Add the butter.
Melt everything, stirring continuously
over low heat. We are making the "glue"
for the mixture.

Add dried fruits like mango, pineapple
and raisins to the dry ingredients.


Pour the honey mix over the dry ingredients 
and mix thoroughly.

Place the mixture in a pan covered with wax paper.
Make sure to allow enough wax paper at the sides to cover the mix.

Cover the mix with wax paper and PRESS HARD!
This is so the mix will be compacted!
Wait about two or three hours.
Check on it.
If it is not hard enough to cut into bars,
place it overnight in the refrigerator.

 When the granola is hard enough to cut,
slice into bars.
 Then you can wrap the bars with wax paper
or some other food grade material.

This is a lot of yummy goodness for mom or anyone 
who wants to eat healthy!

I don't cook often but when I do,
I know my husband Luigi appreciates it!
My meals are always cooked with love,
like it says in the kitchen clock above,
"Meals Cooked With Love".

Growing up, sometimes we had to cook our meals
when our helpers took a vacation.
I always chose hard dishes to cook,
with a lot of spices and extraordinary ingredients.

But it's really not the difficulty of the dish that counts,
it's the secret ingredient that we all can put in our dishes.

The winner of our planner is No. 10 commenter,


We appreciate your comments
and I know it takes time and effort,
so we'll pick one comment next week 
to win one of our 2013 planners.

This one says
"Don't forget to wear your invisible crown."
It's one of my favorite designs
(of course that's because it's mine!!!) 



You may want to see 
other do it yourself projects at
Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife 

Blessings,

Comments

  1. Hi there! Stopping by via Show Off Friday...
    What a fabulous recipe. I bet the girls at the Womens's Event LOVEd them!
    I have never made granola bars before, but they look delicious, the way you describe them. And with that secret ingredient..... How can you fail...

    Well I better cook up a storm with this weekend, and I will make sure to remember the secret ingredient! Thanks for the tip on that!

    PS your planners are BEAUTIFUL......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:47 PM

    Thank you! I have never thought of looking up the recipe for granola bar, but this gives me a great idea. I'll definitely save it!
    I myself have proven the difference in outcome when cooking (in separate instances) with the same recipe but with different dispositions - love and enjoyment as opposed to pressure and duty. One can almost say that the joy of the cook comes into the food and stays with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi--I'm visiting from the Share it Friday hop. My girls always seek out tough recipes when they are "in charge" of dinner too--it keeps cooking fun for them! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic recipe on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I have to try it! Have a great weekend.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love finding new granola bar recipes. I would love it if you would share this with my readers at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish! I cant wait to try them! Thanks for posting! Found you on IMM blog hop
    Diane
    ATAgirls.blogspot.com
    treasuringgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing. Those granola bars look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! We are happy to hear from you! Thank you for dropping by and telling us what you think!

Very Important: To be consistent with quality standards, all comments with commercial | advertising links will be removed.

 

Shop



Follow







 



Get the latest papemelroti updates in your inbox!

Calendar