Wrapped in Prayer



 As usual, I like using recycled materials.
Here is an old pair of canvas pants that I am cutting up
to make into a stuffed doll.

 I drew a simple pattern of a doll with a pencil
on the cloth.

After pinning two pieces of cloth together, I cut it out
leaving a bit of a seam.

Next, I sewed the two pieces of cloth together.

It is important to put notches on the seam so that 
when you invert the doll, 
the cloth won't bunch up.

I am now inverting the doll to the right side.

If it is difficult to invert, you can use a 
long nosed pair of pliers.

Fill the doll with fiberfill or cotton.
When it comes to the arms,
just put fiberfill or cotton inside the hands,
then sew a knot to keep the cotton in there.
Sew a knot in between the arm and body too
to keep the cotton from migrating to the arm.
The arms will not have any cotton or fiberfill
so it is pliable.

When the body is filled with fiberfill or cotton,
place a stone at the bottom
to add weight.

Cut out two ovals from cardboard
to fit inside the base.

Use a glue gun to glue cloth to the base.
Then glue on the 2nd cardboard oval to cover it up.

Paint the doll with gesso or wall putty
to make a base for paint.

Draw a face.
Or you can use movable eyes
and a button nose if you prefer.

 Or feel free to use this template
with carbon paper to trace it
on to your doll.
Paint the face. I used acrylic paints.

  Paint the dress.
I like using two or more shades of the same color
 to add interesting splotches.
Also, this hides any imperfections!

For the hair, I used some scraggly yarn 
I unravelled from an old sweater.

I looped the yarn around my fingers,
cut it,and arranged it on her head.
Then I used a glue gun to hold it in place.
The important thing is not to let any bald spots show!!

Next, I looked for some lace
and fixed it around her shoulders.
I cut up some small bits for her neckline
and her sleeves.

To put words on her dress,
you may write directly on the dress with
a permanent pen.
But I chose to use gel medium.
Make sure your words are inverted and
that you used a copy from a copier
not from a printer.
Put gel medium on the side with the print.
Glue it on the dress.
Wait 30 minutes.

To remove the paper, dip your finger
in water and rub off.
If some parts of the letters got removed,
like here with the letter e,
just write over it with a permanent pen.

For the little book,
I cut out some leather from an old jacket.
I was so happy to find the leather label
of just the right size! 

Make 3 signatures out of any kind of paper.
I used an awl to make the holes,
but you can use an ice pick or even a big needle.
Sew it up with the knot outside the signatures.

Use a glue gun to attach the signatures
to the leather cover.

Write prayers inside the little book.
I'm praying that my son, Josh, and his cousin Mark,
will pass the UPCAT, our State University's exam.
I need to pray hard because 70,000 students took it!

Put velcro on the doll's hands
so that she can hold the Book of Prayers.

Paint a design on the hem of her skirt.

And here she is!
Holding on tight to my prayers! 

We appreciate your comments
and I know it takes time and effort,
so we'll pick one comment next week 
to win one of our 2013 planners.
The winner of our planner is No. 2 commenter,
  Kris of My Life Lessons Diary.
This one says
"Don't forget to wear your invisible crown."
It's one of my favorite designs
(of course that's because it's mine!!!)
If you would like to receive 
our monthly newsletters,
and put subscribe in the subject line.
You may want to see 
other do it yourself projects at
Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife 

Blessings,


Comments

  1. Thank you Patsy! This is a fabulous tutorial! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely doll...and a great tutorial. I saw it on hodgepodge friday link party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tutorial ( visiting from hodgepodge )

    Love the doll and I think that even I, a craft and sewing idiot, could do this based on your very good instructions !: )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this, Papemelroti! I love your store; I hog all the DIY projects and creative thingamabobs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galing mo talaga sis patsy. Blessed by God and you sre a blessing too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. recyling stuffs was the best - thanks for sharing it in detailed - it helps a lot - God bless always -

    alely chan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing :3
    Love u <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how CUTE! Your painted doll is so pretty, love her face, but that she's a PRAYER book doll is so very sweet. I'm so glad you shared her with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
    Great tutorial too!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout! Hope to see you back this week!
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all your works and tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this sweet, sweet tutorial!
    Have a blessed weekend!
    Teresa in California
    http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for sharing this tutorial, Patsy, the doll is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely Tutorial, great techniques - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! We are happy to hear from you! Thank you for dropping by and telling us what you think!

Very Important: To be consistent with quality standards, all comments with commercial | advertising links will be removed.

 

Shop



Follow







 



Get the latest papemelroti updates in your inbox!

Calendar