Tutorial: Fused Plastic Bags



During the last election, a lady from a TV show called
 to ask me if I had a project to re-use
 the election banners after the elections.
  Can you believe this scene?



I like thinking positively and this seems like a gigantic "fiesta"! 
But really, what are we going to do with all those banners afterwards?

I got some banners and experimented- 
first I cleaned it up, then I put two printed sides together:



I then fused the two plastic banners together by ironing them,
putting a layer of paper over it to protect my iron:



I folded some parts to make it thicker and ironed it again.

Amazingly, acrylic paint sticks! 
I had a fun time painting it! 
 It had a sort of "coagulated" texture that made the paint on it interesting.



Then I sewed it up, 
putting buttons and to reinforce the sides, I piped it with leather.




Of course you can also do this with PLASTIC BAGS! 
 There are too many plastic bags thrown into the garbage! 
They end up in our oceans and rivers and do so much damage!

This is a project still in progress.
I'm going to make it into the cover for a journal.


Of course  you can find lots of journals,
scrapbooks and notebooks at 
Here are some of our new designs.


    



You may want to see other do it yourself projects at

Comments

  1. How creative! I would so love for you to share this on my feature Friday linky party.

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic
    www.blissfulanddomestic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty darn cool!

    Aloha,

    Stopping by to say "hi" and to be your newest follower from the melomomma hop...

    If you're up for a bit of a ride I'd love it if you'd join me at localsugarhawaii.com where we're riding the wave of life. And, if you'd like, we're linking up with tons of beautiful bloggers today for our ALOHA Friday HOP-- come join us.
    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new designs. Have you had any trouble with the paint coming off? Just curious... I have had a project in mind... Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. No problem whatever! The plastic becomes matt and the paint adheres well.

      Delete
  4. These are amazing! Wow! I just love your creativity and of course any project that is upcycled is a favorite of mine!
    Hope you will join in my under 300 followers blog hop @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/07/under-300-followers-blog-hop-9.html
    I am your newest follower~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is pretty amazing! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mind is boggled! First, by all of those banners, and second, by your ultra-creative way to reuse them. WOW! Thanks for sharing. I am visiting from Sew Can Do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great idea - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I would have never even thought to try that! You are very clever and creative! Way to recycle too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How creative! This is very cool! I want to try fusing plastic bags now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! (I have nothing more to say).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now this is true creativity! Great project! Happy to have found you blog and to be your newest follower. i'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out my diy ideas: http://dosmallthingswithlove.blogspot.com

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool idea! I've heard about fusing plastic like that but didn't know how it worked until now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for linking up so many of your beautiful projects this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this inspiring project on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Very clever!


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! Just wanted to let you know you've been featured on SImple & Sweet Fridays for this inspiring project. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun idea for repurposing these banners! they look great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi! We are happy to hear from you! Thank you for dropping by and telling us what you think!

Very Important: To be consistent with quality standards, all comments with commercial | advertising links will be removed.

 

Shop



Follow







 



Get the latest papemelroti updates in your inbox!

Calendar